UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – The Penn State women’s soccer team opens its 2022 season on Thursday, Aug. 18 by hosting Georgetown at 7 pm on Jeffrey Field. It marks the first Penn State athletic contest of the 2022-23 season.
- Date: Thursday, Aug. 18, 2022 | Time: 7 pm ET
- Location: University Park, Pa. | Venue: Jeffrey Field
- Live Stats | Watch: BTN+ ($)
- Admission: Free
Parking for all Penn State Athletics’ non-football events will require a valid permit or payment of the applicable parking fee for campus lots. Fans with valid Penn State University Park parking permits will be permitted to park at non-football athletics events for free, following Transportation Services parking policies and access.
For women’s soccer matches, fans are asked to park in the Jordan East, Stadium West or Porter North lots. Fans without a permit are encouraged to prepay for event parking at a discounted rate of $5.50 through ParkMobile – https://psu.parkmobile.io/. Prepayment is available through 11:59 pm the day prior to each event. Event day parking will be $10 per vehicle and is cash only/can be purchased on the ParkMobile app. The East Deck is also available for most events for $1 per hour.
Parking for all non-football athletics events is managed by Penn State Transportation Services. For more information or questions, visit transportation.psu.edu or email [email protected]
KICKING OFF THE SEASON AT HOME
- Penn State has opened eight of the last ten seasons with a home game.
- The Nittany Lions are 14-2-1 when opening the season at home.
- Penn State is 261-37-13 on Jeffrey Field through 28 seasons.
- The Blue & White return 18 letterwinners and welcome 11 newcomers.
- Top Returners: Ally Schlegel (10 goals, 4 assists), Payton Linnehan (7 goals, 3 assists), Katherine Asman (79 saves)
BIG TEN PRESEASON FAVORITES
- The Nittany Lions were selected as the favorite to win the 2022 Big Ten Conference championship alongside Rutgers, according to the annual preseason poll of the conference’s head coaches.
- For the first time in Big Ten Preseason Poll history, there has been a tie for first place with Penn State and Rutgers leading the list.
- The Nittany Lions have been picked as the preseason favorites every year since 2003.
- Under the direction of the head coach Erica Dambachthe Nittany Lions have won 11 Big Ten regular season championships and four Big Ten Tournament championships as she enters her 16th season as Penn State’s head coach.
- Seniors Penelope Hawking, Payton Linnehan and Ally Schlegel were named Big Ten Players to Watch.
- The Nittany Lions have the No. 1 2022 recruiting class in the nation per TopDrawerSoccer.com
- Penn State starts the 2022 season ranked No. 14 in the preseason poll for United Soccer Coaches.
- Penelope Hawking and Ally Schlegel were named to the United Soccer Coaches Players to Watch – Forwards list.
LAST SEASON REWIND
- Penn State finished with a 12-8-1 overall record and 5-5 in the Big Ten.
- The Nittany Lions made their 27th consecutive trip to the NCAA Tournament.
- The Blue & White advanced to the NCAA third round for the seventh time in eight seasons.
- The Nittany Lions had one student-athlete, Sam Coffeyearn All-American honors.
- The program had three Nittany Lions bring home All-Region and All-Big Ten honors in Coffey, Kerry Abello and Ally Schlegel.
- The Hoyas posted a 14-2-6 overall record last season with a 7-1-2 record in Big East play.
- In 2021, the program won the Big East Championship for the fifth time in six years.
- The Hoyas were voted first in the 2022 Big East Preseason Coaches’ Poll.
- Julia Leas was unanimously named Big East Preseason Defensive Player of the Year and Allie Augur was selected as Big East Preseason Goalkeeper of the Year.
PENN STATE AGAINST GEORGETOWN
- This will be the first meeting between Penn State and Georgetown.
NEXT TIME OUT
- The Nittany Lions remain at home for their next two matches with non-conference opponents Duquesne and West Virginia. Penn State hosts Duquesne on Sunday, Aug. 21 at 1 pm and West Virginia on Thursday, Aug. 25 at 6 pm
The Penn State women’s soccer season is presented by the Smeal College of Business.