Welcome to The Athletic‘s 2022-23 edition of the team season previews, a deep dive into what to expect from each team for the upcoming season by Sean Gentille, Shayna Goldman, and Dom Luszczyszyn.
Between Sept. 19 and Oct. 4, we’re previewing all 32 NHL teams in order of predicted regular-season finish, according to Dom’s model. But we’re not going to unveil the order at once — you’ll have to come back here each day as we publish two new previews.
Beyond the projected point total and playoff finish, you’ll find one big question pressing each team, a wildcard player that might have an unexpected impact on the forecast, a roster breakdown, and a best and worst case scenario for each team.
Here are some references to explain how this all works and the links to each team will be here every morning.
• How these projections work
• How these projections performed last season
• Understanding projection uncertainty
32. Arizona Coyotes
31. Montreal Canadiens
30. Chicago Blackhawks
29. Buffalo Sabres
More NHL season previews
• NHL Player Tiers for 2022-23: Connor McDavid leads the way again
• Every NHL team’s biggest question heading into training camp
• The NHL’s 10 best breakout candidates for 2022-23
(Photo: Christopher Mast / NHLI via Getty Images)